Matthew Jamison, Ed.D.
I hope this letter finds you and your family well rested and in good health. The fall sports teams and marching band are in full swing; the building is ready and looks great; and it is my pleasure to say, “Welcome back to OCHS!”
Enclosed with this letter you will find pertinent information. The administrative and secretarial staff has worked to update the information in this packet, and I encourage you to review the Parent/Student Handbook for policy updates and the school calendar. Highlighted below are some important dates that occur early in the school year:
Freshmen Orientation August 30th 7:00 p.m. Auditorium (see notes)
First Day of School September 6th Full day - All Classes Meet
Underclassman Pictures September 9th During gym classes
Freshman Field Day September 16th During school hours
Back to School Night September 19th 7:00 p.m.
This summer, the administration and teaching faculty were extremely busy developing and enhancing our curriculum. A major emphasis will be placed on reading/writing and benchmark assessments. Additionally, each department will develop common quarterly benchmark assessments in order to get a “snapshot” of student achievement and progress. The administration and faculty will continue to analyze our test data in order to make the appropriate programmatic changes.
School safety and security continues to be an emphasis at OCHS. The administration has a strong working relationship with municipal and state law enforcement/emergency responders. We again will routinely drill our emergency plans (fire/evacuation/lockdown). Please review the following procedures with your student:
· Students must “swipe-in” their ID card after entering the building
· The only entrance into the school isthe main entrance
· Students must have their school IDs at all times during school hours
· School IDs must be presented for all cafeteria purchases
· Students are not permitted to bring friends/visitors to school
· Students are not permitted to enter the building before 7:10 a.m.
· School starts 7:50 a.m. and dismissal is 2:35 p.m.
Demographic & Medical Form Updates:
· Guardian Home Access has been revamped to make it easier for you to check your student’s progress and update contact and medical information. To create your account, please go to www.oceancityschools.org and click on the Guardian Home Access link. Once you have created your account, please update your contact information for you and your child(ren) and also their medical forms.
Freshman Orientation Notes:
· Freshman & Parents Only: Tuesday, August 30th at 7:00 p.m. (building opens 6:30 p.m.). The orientation program starts at 7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium you may pick up your locker information and ID card beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the cafeteria. Updated schedules will also be available.
· Because of the strong correlation between attendance and achievement, attendance will continually be emphasized. Parents will again receive phone calls confirming their student’s absences as well as correspondences from the administration.
Early August mailing:
· The Free/Reduced Lunch Application was mailed home earlier this month. If you have not already done so, please return in the postage-paid envelope provided before the start of school.
· Ocean City Schools are now on Facebook and Twitter! Please Like and Follow us for notification of upcoming events, sports schedules, testing schedules and more! See enclosed flyer.
The faculty and staff at OCHS recognize that cell phone technology is an integral part of our lives. Students are permitted to have cell phones in school. However, cell phones are prohibited from being used during the instructional class unless authorized by the teacher. The technology is expanding rapidly and with all the positives of convenience, comes the negatives as well. For example, because of camera and web features on phones, students are prohibited from having phones in testing, lavatory, and locker room situations. Students may access their cell phones during community lunch.
I also request that parents and students review the dress code policy and guidelines found in the parent student handbook on page 14. I trust that you appreciate our concerns and will counsel your child regarding these matters.
The beginning of any school year is always an exciting time filled with enthusiasm and good intentions. Please know that the staff/faculty of OCHS is interested in the academic, behavioral and social success of each child. We want to work with you to ensure that this year is one full of growth and productivity. All of us, no matter what title we have, stand ready to work with you. Please do not hesitate to contact teachers, counselors or administrators so that we can work together.
Matthew Jamison, Ed.D.